Habitot is a nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization that relies on community support
Habitot Children's Museum
2065 Kittredge Street
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 647-1111 www.habitot.org
• worn out kitchen sponges, washed and dried
• plastic strawberry baskets
• Tempra paints (for kids)
• Construction, butcher paper or other large paper
• Pie pans for paint
• Child’s apron
1. Using scissors, cut starfish shapes out of the sponges. Talk to your children
about sea stars, where they live, what they eat and what they look like. Talk
about what you eat (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) and show them the
baskets they are packed in.
2. Put on an apron and fill each pie pan with a different color of paint.
3. Show your children how to dip the sponge and bottom of the basket into the paint and stamp them onto the paper. Cover the page with star and net designs.
4. Allow paintings to dry and display them for your children to see!